OTTAWA, TORONTO & ONTARIO TAX, CUSTOMS & TRADE LAWYERS
We understand the way the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) work. Gordon S. Campbell served for many years as their legal adviser.
How We Help with Tax, Customs and Trade Law
We can offer you timely and effective tax, customs and trade law services, including:
- advice on application and interpretation of legislation - the Income Tax Act, Excise Tax Act (HST), Excise Act, Customs Act, Export and Import Permits Act (Export Control List, Import Control List & Area Control List), Special Economic Measures Act, and United Nations Act
- negotiations - permitting, licencing exemptions, advance rulings, advocacy, objections and appeals to the CRA and CBSA
- Voluntary Disclosure Applications to the CRA and CBSA
- appeals - to the Tax Court of Canada, Canadian International Trade Tribunal, and Federal Court of Appeal
- advice on how to deal with compliance verification - responding to audits, demands for information, inspections, search & seizure, and enquiries by CRA & CBSA
Tax matters we deal with include:
- unfiled returns & unreported income
- undeclared foreign income or assets
- the General Anti-Avoidance Rule (GAAR)
- unpaid tax debts and the negotiation of payment plans
- Fairness and Taxpayer Relief applications to reduce or eliminate interest charges and penalties
- provincial tax issues including tobacco, sales and fuel taxes
- Voluntary Disclosure Applications of unreported income
Customs & trade matters we deal with include:
- tariff classification and preferences
- origin determination and valuation for duty
- free trade agreements and duty relief
- security programs
- regulatory compliance
- foreign corruption laws
- audits, seizures, forfeitures and penalties
Results We May be Able to Achieve for You
- cancellation or reduction of interest and penalties
- elimination or reduction of taxes or duties assessed or reassessed
- unfreezing of bank accounts and lifting of liens on homes
- return of seized money or goods
- avoidance of charges being laid or successful defence of charges if already charged for criminal prosecutions for tax fraud, smuggling, bribery, or other serious breaches of tax or customs laws
The Tax, Customs & Trade Law Practice Group
Gordon S. Campbell leads the firm's Tax, Customs and Trade Law practice. He has successfully litigated contentious tax cases up to the level of the Supreme Court of Canada, served as legal counsel to the Canada Revenue Agency & Canada Border Services Agency, and directed tax and trade policy issues for Canada at the World Trade Organization (WTO), Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum, and the G8/G20.
Nancy Hamelin is the lead Law Clerk for Tax matters.
Yael Benyair is the lead Law Clerk for Customs & Trade matters.
They are assisted by a team other in house and external lawyers, law clerks and accountants, offering clients the expertise they require for both planning and dispute resolution.
The Tax and Trade Dedicated Website
The firm maintains a website devoted exclusive to tax and trade law at www.taxappealscanada.com where you'll find more detailed information including blog posts about the tax and trade law services the firm offers, and the current state of the law.